Pooley Bridge, Ullswater CA10 2NP

01768 486453

 

 

POOLEY BRIDGE

has been inhabited since at least Roman times when lead was mined on Askham Fell and transported by canal down to Pooley Bridge. The kingdom of Rheged followed the Romans from around 450 AD; the remains of a hill fort from this period can be found on Dunmallard Hill opposite Pooley. In the 1100's a market charter was granted for the weekly sale of fish; this is commemorated on the village square monument. Until 1760 the village was known as Powley (meaning pool by the hill), the old two arch bridge was then replaced by a three arch version (illustrated here) at a cost of £400. The village then became known as Pooley Bridge. This bridge survived 251 years until storm Desmond forced it to collapse on December 6th 2015.

     A temporary bridge was opened in March 2016 reconnecting East and West sides of Ullswater allowing time to plan and design an appropriate permanent replacement bridge in the near future.

ACCOMMODATION

1863, Pooley Bridge, offers superb bed and breakfast accommodation with 8 bedrooms all beautifully finished; this is a family run guest house owned by Anne & Mark Vause, part of the Granny Dowbekin’s™ family. Plus, there are four major campsites within one mile of Pooley Bridge village which have caravans, lodges, cabins and camping facilities with a capacity of 15,000 people.

 

Coming soon there will be a self contained holiday let available at Granny Dowbekin's. To book please click here.

WALKS

Walk up Barton Fell from the village, past Hillcroft Campsite, gently uphill for 1 mile until you reach the ‘Cockpit’ stone circle, bear right along High Street the old Roman Road with unbroken views of Ullswater below, after 4 miles drop down into the hamlet of Howtown and catch the ferry back to Pooley Bridge. Time taken 2/3 hours.

 

For a quick 30 minute sheltered walk in the woods, go over the bridge from the tearoom a take the circular walk around Dunmallard hill, which looks down onto the lake from the west shore. Atop Dunmallard are remains of the old fort of Rheged, which took over control of the area after the Romans left in 350A.D.

 

The lakeshore walk from Howtown to Glenridding was in Wainwright’s opinion "the prettiest lakeshore walk of all", and looks across to Gowbarrow Fell where Wordsworth was inspired to write his poem ‘Daffodils’. This walk undulates for 7 miles. Take a ferry to bring you back across the lake at the end.

 

THE ULLSWATER WAY is a 20-mile walking route around Ullswater. The route can be walked in either direction and from any starting point. Why not walk the route in shorter sections, using an open top bus or steamer to start your journey!

www.ullswater.com/the-ullswater-way

 

Ullswater Steamers pier is 100 metres away and sails all year, weather permitting. http://www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk. Timetables are available in the Tea Room.

Granny Dowbekin's Tea Room and Garden, Pooley Bridge, Ullswater, CUMBRIA   CA10 2NP    01768 486453